Who We're Looking For
CoLab coworkers bring a wide range of talent and perspectives to our collaboration. We’re looking for people who try to meet complexity with simplicity and can communicate about it with their peers. As a co-op, we embrace both autonomy and mutual aid. You’ll have clear responsibilities in your role, as well as opportunities to contribute in other areas. Does CoLab sound like a place for you? Read on.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience supporting web applications as a business / quality analyst
- Understanding of software development life cycles
- Understanding of web application development and distribution
- Understanding of client-server technologies
- Knowledge of accessibility standards and requirements
- Experience with cross-browser testing tools
- Experience with QA automation tools
- Familiarity with popular Content Management Systems such as Drupal and WordPress
- Ability to query a database (SQL)
- Familiarity with design software like Figma, Sketch, Adobe XD, and Invision
- Ability to convey complex information in a timely and easily understood manner for developers, designers, project managers, and clients
- Experience with JIRA and Confluence
- Ability to create clear and detailed bug tickets
- Knowledge of QA scripting languages
- Experience writing unit tests
- Exposure to REST API
- Exposure to Google Analytics for Events Tracking & User engagement
- Requirements & Design Reviews
- Functional and Non-functional testing like Usability, Accessibility
- User Interface/ Compatibility testing for websites and mobile apps across Platforms
- Testing backend admin systems for Drupal & wordPress websites
- Testing custom web apps
- A commitment to doing impactful work that benefits the common good.
- A love for simple, elegant solutions.
- Clear communication when setting and managing expectations.
- Commitment to meeting expectations to the best of your ability.
- Show care for yourself, your peers, the planet.
- A flexible mindset when considering how best to work and collaborate together.
- Open to contributing and receiving growth-oriented feedback.
- Empathetic, service-minded, when working directly with clients and peers.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and sensitive manner.
CoLab is an international, worker-owned tech cooperative that builds custom apps and websites for a better world. Our co-op was founded in 2010 to co-create simple, purpose-driven solutions to global problems. We are committed to our clients for the long haul, and we bring our entire team to every engagement. We run a very open, flat, and collaborative organization, and invest in one another as friends and coworkers. Our co-op has a path to becoming a member ownership, which we hope you’ll consider.
- A path to member-ownership for every worker at CoLab.coop.
- A commitment to work at the intersection of technology and social and environmental justice.
- Welcoming of a diversity of perspectives and experiences. Stronger together.
- Be curious. Listen deeply. Reflect, learn, and grow together.
- Value generosity and transparency.
- Values a familial environment, where our core strength lies not in smarts, but in our togetherness.
- See business relationships, and specifically co-operative economics, as a central pillar of efforts to better our communities.
- Recognize that we are humans before we are of any particular gender, race, class, or religion.
- Understand that our work is collaborative, from the ground up. We support worker agency, listening with empathy, speaking with balance, and cultivating unity.
- Each is equitably valued for their contributions, regardless of their appearance, identity, or beliefs.
- See that working in collaboration with peers as a duo is an inherent strength in most situations.
We prioritize hiring within locales where our current work community resides, when possible, to allow for real life meetup opportunities. This position is currently open to applicants living in Alabama, California, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Texas, Vermont, Wisconsin, or outside of the U.S.
Our working hours are mainly +/- 6 hours Eastern time zone. We currently have teammates and clients from California to New York to the EU to the Asia Pacific region.
Our cooperative has recently passed a comprehensive approach to rate standards for all of our members and collaborators. The rate for this role will be determined based on a standard set of merit and experience-based criteria, applied equally to all members of our workplace. The expected rate for this role is $28 - 36/hr USD.
Flexible project based work. Contractor agreement determined by skills, capacity, availability and project fit. Likely 5 hours per week.
There is no due date for applications, we will review them as received. Anticipated start timing is immediate.
- Flexible schedule
- Friendly peers
- Participate in mission-driven projects
- Lots of room to grow
- Educational resources
- Stretch responsibilities that challenge you to level up!
- Path to ownership
- Value-aligned community
- Respect for work/life balance
- Support for spiritual growth
We center underrepresented people and communities in our work. Women, gender non-conforming people, indigenous people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please email email@example.com with the subject line “QA Tester.”
- A brief, 2-3 paragraph cover letter about your background, interest in co-operatives and what you hope to bring to this work
- A resume or CV and portfolio or professional links
- Availability to start and other considerations
- 2 questions you have for us
- 2-3 work references
We look forward to talking with you!