Django Python Web App Programmer
We are developing several new applications in Django and Python. These projects are in various states of development, from ‘proof-of-concept’ to ‘ready-to-deploy.’ The work also includes leveraging new technologies such as AI and machine learning as service type technologies for custom application implementation. Our work is joined by a common thread of being human-centric and intended to serve our clients with solutions rooted in ethical principles.
Our teams include back-end and front-end developers, UX designers, graphic designers, product managers, QA technicians, and project managers. We work closely and collaboratively and meet regularly with the clients. Our teams are distributed around the world and meet via video conference.
CoLab coworkers bring a wide range of talent and perspectives to our collaboration. We’re looking for people who try to meet complexity with simplicity and can communicate about it with their peers. As a co-op, we embrace both autonomy and mutual aid. You’ll have clear responsibilities in your role, as well as opportunities to contribute in other areas. We have no criteria around particular background or credentials; we care about your proposals, what you produce, and your growth and happiness with our team. Does CoLab sound like a place for you? Read on.
- 3+ years working with Django, in a service-oriented architecture environment, both classic Django and api only projects
- Experience with Django custom search implementation
- Django forms and Django Admin forms customization
- Python scripting to perform backend automation, import/export tasks
- 3+ years experience managing production code with version control and project management tools
- Solid understanding of object-oriented programming
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to those
- Experience successfully taking design handoffs from UI/UX concept to production application launch.
- Experience working in Agile Development Methodologies and frameworks such as Scrum
- Maintain code quality, organization, and automatization
- Deliver quality, professional work on a daily basis as a matter of principle.
- Work with distributed teams using online collaboration tools like Slack and Zoom.
- Support project ‘retrospectives’ with insightful feedback.
- Support reviews of peers and help to optimize processes.
- Desire to actively engage in constructive code and design reviews with peers and partners.
- API design structures
- Unit and functional testing challenges
- Creating engaging and responsive interfaces
- Building intuitive data-driven interactions
- Developing efficient and reusable front-end components
- Making data more accessible using natural language technologies
- Analyzing and improving application usability
- A commitment to doing impactful work that benefits the common good.
- A love for simple, elegant solutions.
- Clear communication when setting and managing expectations.
- Commitment to meeting expectations to the best of your ability.
- Show care for yourself, your peers, the planet.
- A flexible mindset when considering how best to work and collaborate together.
- Open to contributing and receiving growth-oriented feedback.
- Empathetic, service-minded, when working directly with clients and peers.
- Ability to communicate in a clear and sensitive manner.
- Experience with other custom application frameworks like Ruby on Rails and/or React + Node.js.
- Experience building client and peer trust and goodwill in an agency role.
- Ability to spot problems before they happen and suggest solutions.
- Experience with technical estimation and roadmap planning.
- Experience with Typescript and component-based development
- Experience with bash scripting and basic Linux server administration.
- Experience with automated user interface testing frameworks.
- Experience with continuous integration and deployments.
- Evaluate features through a human-centric lens.
- Demonstrate good design principles so that app development work has rhythm, balance, and ease of use.
- Ability to apply quantitative reasoning and UX design principles to building applications.
- Demonstrated sense for web design and UX fundamentals, including usability and accessibility best practices.
- Demonstrated ability to make practical design/implementation tradeoff decisions when choosing how to implement feature requests.
CoLab is an international, worker-owned tech collective that builds custom apps and websites for a better world. Our co-op was founded in 2010 to co-create simple, purpose-driven solutions to global problems. We are committed to our clients for the long haul, and we bring our entire team to every engagement. We run a very open, flat, and collaborative organization, and invest in one another as friends and coworkers. Our co-op has a path to becoming a member-ownership, which we hope you’ll consider.
- A path to member-ownership for every worker at CoLab.coop.
- A commitment to work at the intersection of technology and social and environmental justice.
- Welcoming of a diversity of perspectives and experiences. Stronger together.
- Be curious. Listen deeply. Reflect, learn, and grow together.
- Value generosity and transparency.
- Values a familial environment, where our core strength lies not in smarts, but in our togetherness.
- See business relationships, and specifically co-operative economics, as a central pillar of efforts to better our communities.
- Recognize that we are humans before we are of any particular gender, race, class, or religion.
- Understand that our work is collaborative, from the ground up. We support worker agency, listening with empathy, speaking with balance, and cultivating unity.
- Each is equitably valued for their contributions, regardless of their appearance, identity, or beliefs.
- See that working in collaboration with peers as a duo is an inherent strength in most situations.
We are open to receiving applications from wherever you are based including to applicants living outside of the U.S. We prioritize hiring within locales where our current work community resides when possible to allow for in real life meetup opportunities.
Our working hours are mainly +/- 6 hours Eastern time zone. We currently have teammates and clients from California to New York to the EU to the Asia Pacific region.
Hourly, commensurate with experience
Flexible project based work. Contractor agreement determined by skills, capacity, availability and project fit. Opportunity to grow to full employment and member ownership.
Applications are due by January 15, 2020. Anticipated start timing is immediate.
Please email email@example.com with the subject line “Web App Programmer”
WE CENTER UNDERREPRESENTED PEOPLE AND COMMUNITIES IN OUR WORK. WOMEN, GENDER NON-CONFORMING PEOPLE, INDIGENOUS PEOPLE, AND PEOPLE OF COLOR STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.
- A brief, 2-3 paragraph cover letter about your background, interest in co-operatives and what you hope to bring to this work
- A resume or CV and portfolio or professional links
- Availability to start and other considerations
- 2 questions you have for us
- 2-3 work references
We look forward to talking with you!