Digital Designer - UX & UI
Engage co-ops, empower communities
CoLab is looking for a Digital Designer to strengthen our human centered design approach in co-creating web technology. Founded in 2010, our cooperative now needs your help to further elevate our vision and maintain robust standards for digital product and web design.
Our goal is to grow our design practice and team. We work at the intersection of cooperation, inclusion, and technology. We’re building on a history of unique collaboration with clients committed to economic justice, culture, and sustainability. We’re seeking a collaborator with at least 3-5 years job or project experience helping teams bring simple, purpose-driven products to life.
A typical day might include; a 15 minute virtual check in with your team on Slack optimizing a marketing landing page. From there you’ll spend a couple hours revising a design based on comments in InVision or Figma in prep to present via Zoom to a client. Your team consists of a PM in East Oakland, a developer in Alabama, and another in New Delhi, India. If you have the chance, you’ll join the “CoLab Connect” to meet other CoLabrs and learn about the different governance goals and challenges facing the cooperative.
If this resonates with you, please read on.
As a Designer, you will work primarily on developing digital products, leading a design process that translates user needs, business objectives, and technology capabilities into interactive user experiences for multi-stakeholder projects for economic justice or environmental sustainability.
- Solid knowledge of design disciplines and principles
- Knowledge of industry trends and available third party tools to enhance the design process
- Proficiency with Sketch, Invision and/or Figma
- Ability to produce foundational design assets such as wireframes, user flows, and journey maps
- Ability to design high fidelity mock-ups and click-through prototypes as necessary for each product
- Proven ability to create assets with user-focused design informed by market analysis, customer feedback and requirements, and user research analytics
- Experience with prototyping and similar techniques for concept testing and early stage product design iteration
- Experience with participatory design, design thinking and inclusive, reciprocal approaches during product discovery phases
- Familiarity with hybrid/native UI development frameworks, such as React Native, Expo, etc.
- Familiarity with accessibly
- Experience conducting stakeholder interviews, user interviews, contextual inquiry, concept testing, and usability testing
- Experience with analyzing and synthesizing research data
- Collaborate with designers, developers, and strategists to set research goals, ensure quality outputs, and best-in-class designs
- Ability to adjust plan and methodology based on unique needs of different projects
- Review deliverables with team to ensure quality
- Ability to estimate, work with, and communicate around budgets
- Ability to communicate the value of design methods
- Support in communicating around research activities (work with project team to develop and share schedules, research plans, and findings throughout the research process)
- Present designs and related research to internal team and/or clients
- Experience managing expectations of client regarding time, money, and impact
- Support facilitation of workshops with clients, users, and other stakeholders
- Familiarity with CSS preprocessors
- Familiarity with templating languages
- Background with native frameworks for Android or iOS
- Graphic illustration skills
- Experience in an agency or project based environment
- Experience working with member associations, community-based organizations, civic institutions, and grassroots initiatives
- Ability to negotiate complex sets of team objectives to pinpoint research questions and draft research plans accordingly
- Desire to grow and shape the design group through strong research practices
- Familiarity with usability testing software
- Fluency with usability heuristics and relevant HCI literature
- Experience in ‘mission driven’ technology and the measurement of social impact
- Interest in publishing process and thought leadership work
- An entrepreneurial spirit
- Be open to receiving feedback and constructive criticism from teams and clients
- Experience building client trust and goodwill
- Ability to communicate effectively and lovingly with developers and other roles
- Communicate proactively and clearly when adjustments are needed in project plans
- Provide for excellent client and peer satisfaction
- Support project ‘retrospectives’ with insightful feedback
- Support reviews of peers and help to optimize organizational processes
- We have passion for social and environmental justice
- Technology is an instrument for bringing about a more equitable and sustainable future
- Thirst for knowledge and curiosity
- Generosity and transparency are of high value
- Our core strength lies not in smarts, but in togetherness
- Business relationships, and specifically cooperative economics, are essential to better our communities
- We are humans before we are of any particular gender, race, class, or religion
- Our work is collaborative, from the ground up: supporting agency, listening with empathy, speaking with balance, and cultivating unity
- Each person is valued for their contributions, regardless of their appearance, identity, or beliefs
- Working in collaboration with peers as a duo is an inherent strength in most situations
- We welcome diverse of viewpoints
CoLab Cooperative is a global, distributed digital agency offering full-service, custom website and application development. Founded in 2010, we have grown to 30 coworkers and specialize in building cooperative platforms that serve as community assets for worker-owned organizations building wealth and organizing social power. Our services are targeted to social and economic justice entrepreneurs, organizations, and institutions, in the US and worldwide.
Through our work together, we hope to build a brighter future where cooperative work contributes to a more peaceful and just world.
A path to ownership in the cooperative is open for the candidate. Details are based upon current membership criteria and subject to approval from the Board of Directors.
This position may require about 5-10 hours/week and is part of an agile contract. Our working hours are +/- 3 hours eastern time zone. This initial engagement begins in summer 2019 and the chosen candidate will be offered a contractual agreement on a quarterly basis with strong potential for long term work across a variety of clients. The ideal candidate is interested in pursuing membership with CoLab’s cooperative structure, but this is not a requirement.
Preference may be given to candidates living in Alabama, California, Massachusetts, New York, Ohio, Texas, Vermont, Washington State, or outside of the U.S. Some travel for onsite client work may be required.
Hourly, fairly based on experience and willingness to make the world a more just and peaceful place.
- Flexible schedule
- Friendly peers
- Participate in mission-driven projects
- Lots of room to grow
- Educational resources
- Stretch responsibilities that challenge you to level up!
- Path to ownership
- Value-aligned community
- Respect for work/life balance
We center underrepresented people and communities in our work. Women, gender non-conforming people, and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with “Digital Designer” in the subject line. Please be prepared to share the following:
- A brief, 2-3 paragraph cover letter about your background and what you hope to bring to this work
- resume or CV and portfolio or professional links
- availability to start and other considerations
- two questions you have for us
We look forward to talking with you!